Create a bag in a beatiful heart shaped bag and decorate it with embroidery or cecorative stitches.
- Pink Silk: 17 3/4” x 53 1/8”(45x135 cm)
- Organza/Toile: Scrap pieces for appliqués
- Batting: 11 7/8” x 19 6/8” (30x50 cm)
- Tear-away stabilizer
- Matching sewing thread
- Embroidery thread
- Yarn to create a tassel
- Beads for shoulder strap
- Strong, durable thread for shoulder strap
- Snap fastener
- Pattern template for heart shape (download as pdf)
Add 5/8 inch (1,5 cm) seam allowance to the pattern pieces.
- 1 piece 16”x16” (40x40 cm) for embroidery
- 3 pieces cut out using the heart pattern
- 2 pieces cut out using the heart pattern
Hoop stabilizer and pink silk.
Embellish the front piece with an embroidery design of your choice following the instructions given for that design (we have used a flower design added below). When finished cut out the front piece using the heart pattern, adding a 5/8” (15 mm) seam alllowance.
Create a Tassel
Wind the yarn around a piece of thick paper. (4”x 6”/10x15 cm)
Tie a thread through one of the short ends, and cut the other end open.
Then wind a thread piece approximately 1/2” (1 cm) from one end. Trim the tassel.
Cut a strong and durable thread about 40” (100 cm) long. Thread with beads to create a shoulder strap.
- Place a piece of lining right sides together with the embroidered piece of the bag. Place a piece of batting on the bottom. Pin all layers together.
- Sew the pieces together between the markings along the upper edge as illustrated (use 5/8” (1,5 cm) seam allowance).
- Trim the seam allowance and turn right side out.
- Repeat with the back piece.
Sew the Bag
- Place the tassel on the front piece with the tassel pointing inwards. Place the back piece on top of the front piece right sides together.
- Pin and sew the bag together between the markings as illustrated.
- Trim the seam allowance, overcast, and turn right side out.
TIP: Use a bias tape to give the inner seam a smooth and neat appearance.
- Sew the shoulder strap to the bag, using a strong thread.
- Sew a snap fastener inside at the top of the bag.